Cougars split weekend against TRU

Cougars split weekend against TRU


Kayla Kievits, Cougars Athletics

CALGARY - The Cougars turned their weekend around in the second match against the Thompson Rivers University WolfPack securing a win for a weekend split. After the first match on Friday night didn't end in favour of the Cougars they came out hungry for their first win of the year. The Cougars took the match in four sets. The final scores were, 25-13, 19-25, 25-20 and 25-14. 

The Booster Juice players of the game were Sam Taylor Parks from the WolfPack and Ty Moline from the Cougars. The WolfPack leading attacker was Dobbert with a total of 13 kills, and the Cougars was Lightfoot with a total of 10. The teams were both consistent in blocking, the Cougars with a team total of seven, and the WolfPack with a team total of 6. The Cougars showed to be more consistent on the back line with a serve percentage of 0.860 compared to the WolfPacks 0.795.

Going into the first set the Cougars were ready to play. Gaining a 10-point lead early on, the Cougars were serving aces, and getting hands on triple blocks. By the technical timeout, the Cougars pulled ahead of the WolfPack 16-6. The set didn't last long after the technical timeout. The Cougars took advantage of their momentum over the WolfPack, picking up their attacks, and hitting off the block. The WolfPack called their second timeout as they fell behind 8-21. Missed serves from the WolfPack put the Cougars within reach of a win. They sealed the deal on a block from Greves. The final score of the set was 25-13. 

The second set started off as a closer game. The WolfPack was fighting back getting their hands on the Cougars attacks. The WolfPack took a slight lead over the Cougars 11-7 with strong attacks in the front row from Parks. When the WolfPack extended their lead to 14-9 the Cougars called the first timeout of the game. The timeout ended in their favour as Cougars Newman got the first kill back on the court. At the technical timeout, the WolfPack remained in the lead 16-10. The Cougars were fighting hard to catch the WolfPack. When they fell behind eight points 12-20 they called their second timeout to regroup. The WolfPack missed their serve following the timeout. Cougars Lightfoot stepped up to serve scoring an ace, before putting one out the back. In the end, the Cougars were unable to catch the WolfPack who won the set 25-19 on a service error from the Cougars. 

Tied at one set each the third set started out point-for-point. When the Cougars pulled ahead 10-7 the WolfPack called the first timeout of the set. Cougars Gieske served an ace following the timeout. The WolfPacks Napolitano went on a serving streak to tie the game at 12. At the technical timeout, the WolfPack led by one, 16-15. The WolfPack used their second timeout when the Cougars gained ground pulling ahead 19-16. It was the Cougars consistent blocking that gave them the edge in the third set, winning 25-20. The Cougars were up two sets to one going into the fourth. 

Yet again the teams started the set point-for-point. Both teams were switching up their offence mixing in tips and attacks. The WolfPack called the first timeout when the Cougars gained a two-point lead 12-10. The Cougars knew they had to push through the pressure, and they did. They maintained their lead 16-10 at the technical timeout. The Cougars served two aces after the technical timeout. As their lead grew to 19-11 the WolfPack called another timeout. The WolfPack were unable to stop the Cougars who took the win 25-14, securing the match win as well. 

The Cougars play their next game again on home court on Jan. 12, 2018 against the University of Alberta. Ending the first game of the New Year on a win, the Cougars are hoping to carry their momentum into the next game looking for that clean sweep.