Cougars put up seven against Pronghorns in Lethbridge

Cougars put up seven against Pronghorns in Lethbridge

A.J. Mike Smith, Lethbridge Pronghorns Sports Information


The CIS #6 Mount Royal Cougars came into the Lethbridge Pronghorns' barn in search of two-points on Friday night, and they got it, walking away with a 7-1 win.


Cam Maclise lead the charge, scoring two goals, while David Stephens, Grant Baker, Tyler Fiddler, Jordan McNaughton, Connor Rankin, all scored as well for the Cougars. Zane Jones claimed the lone 'Horns tally.


The first period opened with the 'Horns carrying the play, not allowing a shot against for the better part of the first three minutes. The Cougars found their game soon after though, opening the scoring 3:33 into the contest as a David Stephens wrister deflected off of a stick in front, and beat 'Horns goalie Damien Ketlo. Just 3:50 later, Cam Maclise snapped off a wicked shot to the top corner of the 'Horns' net, beating Ketlo cleanly and putting the Cougars up 2-0. The 'Horns took the only penalty of the period, as Brandon Clowes made a trip to the box for high sticking.


The Cougars took the 2-0 lead, and a 14-11 edge in shots on goal, to the first intermission.


The second period was a physical affair, as both teams ramped up the physical play. It was also a cleanly played period, as no penalties were called. The Cougars carried the play the majority of the period, and added to their lead just 4:27 into the middle frame, as a bouncing puck shot by Maclise found its way into the 'Horns net. It didn't take long for them to strike again, as Grant Baker stepped over the blue line and beat a screened Ketlo low blocker side to put the Cougars up 4-0. The 'Horns switched goalies, taking Ketlo out and sending Dylan Tait to the blue paint. The Cougars continued to press, and caused a turnover at the 'Horns blue line, sending Tyler Fiddler in all alone, he would make no mistake roofing over Tait's left shoulder and into the top corner. The 'Horns would break the goose egg with 2:06 remaining in the second, after Zane Jones swatted a rebound in at the side of the net.


The Cougars took a comfortable 5-1 lead to the dressing room for the second intermission. They lead in shots, too, 35-25.


Not much changed in the third period, as the Cougars kept their foot on the gas, and didn't let the 'Horns have virtually any chances. They continued to pile on the offense, too. 2:12 into the period, Jordan McNaughton walked in from the blue line and sniped one, top cheese, on Tait's short side.


The penalties picked up in the period, as the Cougars took their first trip to the sin bin 11:00 minutes into the third, when Brett Zarazun took a holding penalty. They would kill it off. Then, with 5:20 remaining in the game, the 'Horns' Blake Orban and Cougars' Jamie King took coincidental roughing minors.


That would be all for the penalties in the game, but not the scoring.


The Cougars would add to the impressively offensive night, as Connor Rankin walked out of the corner and made a slick move to beat Tait five-hole, and put the Cougars up 7-1.


The game would end with that as the score. The Cougars' Cam Lanigan finished the night with 43 saves. The 'Horns' starter Ketlo made 16 saves, and Tait made 25 saves in his relief effort.


The Cougars and 'Horns meet again Saturday on the back end of a home-and-home in Calgary, at 7:00pm. The game is available on