Courtesy of Regina Cougars Sports Information


Regina, SK - The University of Regina men's hockey team was handled by Mount Royal University at The Co-operators Centre on Friday night, falling 9-2 to the visitors.


Tyler Fiddler and Cody Cartier led the way for Mount Royal, as each scored twice and assisted on another goal in the win. Tanner Olstad also had a three-point night for MRU, with a goal and two helpers. Jarid Hauptman had two goals, while Scott McKay and Cam Maclise also scored.

Sanfred King and J.J. Coleshaw replied for the Cougars.


Mount Royal struck first after 10 minutes of stifling defence by both teams. The two teams only combined for three shots on net in the opening 10 minutes, but MRU got on the board thanks to Cartier. The fifth-year forward out of Calgary scored his third of the season after a point shot off the stick of Brett Zarazun was blocked by a Cougar defender. Unluckily for the home team, the puck bounced right onto the stick of Cartier who fired it past Mitch Kilgore before the goalie could re-position himself. Maclise also assisted on the goal that put the visitors up 1-0.


The Cougars replied with 1:46 remaining in the first period, as King scored his third of the season after a wild scramble in the Mount Royal zone. MRU goaltender Colin Cooper was out of position after a pair of sprawling saves, and the puck ended up behind the net. Dylen McKinlay intercepted a pass from an MRU defender and put it in front for King, who ripped a shot into the back of the net before Cooper could get up from his stomach.


MRU would take a late lead at the end of the period, on a controversial play. As the period was winding down, Cartier fired a pass in front that was deflected over Kilgore's shoulder by Fiddler. The buzzer had sounded to signal the end of the period, but after a discussion amongst the referees, the play was ruled a goal and Fiddler's fourth goal of the campaign had put the visitors up 2-1. Matthew Brown also assisted on the late marker.


Once again, the Cougars would reply to tie up the game, this time coming off the stick of the rookie Coleshaw. Miguel Pereira and Trent Lofthouse controlled the puck behind the MRU net, and it was Pereira who rifled a pass in front to a cutting Coleshaw, and his one-timer went over the shoulder of Cooper. Coleshaw's second of the season tied the game, but Mount Royal would re-take the lead again.


MRU's third goal came from MacKay, who corralled a blocked shot and batted a bouncing puck past Kilgore. His first of the season was assisted by Brady Gaudet and would put the visitors up 3-2 midway through the second.


The visiting team would add another powerplay marker late in the second period after Coleshaw was sent to the box for goaltender interference. Grant Baker put a slap shot on net from the point and Kilgore made the pad save, but he kicked the rebound right to Hauptman who potted it for his second of the season.


Mount Royal would expand the lead with two goals in a 28-second span to open the third period. Fiddler notched his second of the night with helpers from Jamie King and Olstad, and the second was Maclise with his second point of the evening. Baker and Shaun MacPherson recorded assists on Maclise's goal, which bumped the lead to 6-2.


Olstad added another with just under eight minutes to play, netting a rebound after a shot from King. Fiddler also assisted on the goal for his third point of the game. Cartier and Hauptman each beat Kilgore again before the final buzzer sounded, making the final 9-2.


Kilgore stopped 33 shots in the loss, while his counterpart Cooper made 14 saves for his fifth win of the season.


The two teams will face off again on Saturday, with an afternoon puck drop of 3 p.m. at The Co-operators Centre.